In the latest installment of our Tip of the Week series of Animation tutorials our resident expert and Professional Product Manager, Lilly Vogelesang, will show how to alter Text in Perspective in Storyboard Pro 3D and Harmony as well as in Animate Pro.
The 14 minute video is in two parts and explains how you can alter the perspective of text in an animation. For this tutorial, Lilly places text on a highway billboard and changes its look using two different methods – Firstly, by using the Perspective tool and secondly, by manipulating it in 3D space, as is possible in Storyboard Pro 3D or Harmony.
In Part 1, Lilly begins by introducing the topic of using Text in Perspective. She continues by Drawing the billboard flat; placing text on the billboard; this is followed by an explanation of using the Perspective tool; Breaking apart the text layers; Distressing the text to show aging or weathering. Lilly continues by using the Perspective tool on the converted text.
In Part 2, Lilly continues using Storyboard Pro 3D and draws a second billboard to use in 3D space; 3D is then enabled on the scene and she uses the First Frame transform tool to position the layer in 3D space; Lillly demonstrates Rotating around the Stage view with Cmd+Shift; Adding a Camera Move to the 3D scene; finally she shows what Adding a Camera Move to the 2D scene is like and compares the differences between 3D and 2D.
So get comfortable, watch the video and learn how to experience a better way to more efficient and satisfying animation, with our Tip of the Week.
Announcement:- ARE YOU A LIVE-ACTION STORYBOARD ARTIST?
Lilly Vogelesang holding a meeting of live-action storyboard artists in the LA region during SIGGRAPH 2012. The meeting will focus on how we can improve storyboard software to help storyboard artists. If you would like to attend please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
More Animation Resources from Toon Boom
When you have watched our latest Tips of the Week, we have much more for you to learn about. Make use of these great animation resources to become the very best.
Visit our Toon Boom Tips Channel on YouTube and watch all of the Tips of the Week.
Become a better animator by visiting our Toon Boom Professional Animating Resources:
- Producing a 3DStereoscopic Project – Turn your project into a 3D Stereoscopic animation. Instructions and material.
- Templates – Professional-quality templates for Animate, Animate Pro and Harmony, everything from Sunrises to Particle Effects.
- Video Tutorials – Expert animation tutorials to help you begin and then progress to the highest level of animation expertise.
- Community Video Tutorials - These in-depth animation tutorials are created by some of Toom Boom’s industry power users.
- Visit our User Forums - We answer your questions. Work with other users and our experts to get answers to your animation and storyboarding questions.