In the latest installment of our Tip of the Week series of Animation tutorials our resident expert and Professional Product Manager, Lilly Vogelesang, will explain how to Set Ease Manually in Animate, Animate Pro and Harmony. The advantage of this technique is that it provides a more organic feel which some animators prefer, especially those used to working traditionally. This is different from the Add Ease tip we did earlier in the series.
As it is a fairly complicated concept to explain and understand this video is 11 minutes in length.
In animation, the ease, also known as velocity, is the acceleration and deceleration of a motion. It can either be a motion created by a function curve or a series of animated drawings. Other common terms for ease-in and ease-out are slow-in and slow-out.
The video is 11 minutes long. Lilly begins with a basic overview of the technique, explaining the use of onion skinning in this technique. She then continues with the following topics:- Setting first and end keys and placing a middle keyframe; Manually going from one keyframe to another; A second example setting the second keyframe; Slowing down the movement and moving the keyframe; Variation of speed between positions, detailed explanation of the process.
So get comfortable, watch the video and learn how to experience a better way to more efficient and satisfying animation, with our Tip of the Week.
More Animation Resources from Toon Boom
When you have watched our latest Tips of the Week, we have much more for you to learn about. Make use of these great animation resources to become the very best.
Visit our Toon Boom Tips Channel on YouTube and watch all of the Tips of the Week.
Become a better animator by visiting our Toon Boom Professional Animating Resources:
- Producing a 3DStereoscopic Project – Turn your project into a 3D Stereoscopic animation. Instructions and material.
- Templates – Professional-quality templates for Animate, Animate Pro and Harmony, everything from Sunrises to Particle Effects.
- Video Tutorials – Expert animation tutorials to help you begin and then progress to the highest level of animation expertise.
- Community Video Tutorials - These in-depth animation tutorials are created by some of Toom Boom’s industry power users.
- Visit our User Forums - We answer your questions. Work with other users and our experts to get answers to your animation and storyboarding questions.