In this two part installment of our Tip of the Week series on how to Work in a 3D Space our resident expert and Professional Product Manager, Lilly Vogelesang, will explain how to import and animate and render out 3D models in Harmony.
This week’s video is in two parts. Part 1 is 9:45 in length and Part 2 is 10:13 minutes long.
In part 1 Lilly talks about working in a 3D package such as Maya. She demonstrates this by showing an example of a modelled and textured car set up with a ramp shader. Next, she talks about exporting the model from a 3D package (Maya) and importing it into Harmony. After this she explains using the plugin manager in Maya and obtaining the Toon Boom plugin for Maya (up to Maya version 2012). Following on she shows how to use Export_all to export the model and then opening Harmony and importing the model. A few moments are spent on exporting an osb file and the rampshader attached and then also importing an fbx file. Lilly then talks about moving the object around in Harmony and using pegs and then adding an animation to the object and using the Velocity editor.
The process continues in Part 2 with a look at textures and backgrounds in Maya. Once this is done Lilly continues by exporting a loft from Maya and checking the render in Maya. This is followed by an explanation of saving the objects as scenes in Maya and importing all the models into Harmony. Lilly talks about bundling the textures with the same file in Harmony. She explains about attaching models to the same peg and repositioning the models in space. She shows the process for copying the sizing information to the scale peg and then demonstrates adding a drawing layer to work in 3D space with the imported models. Finally she touches on rendering.
More Animation Resources from Toon Boom
When you have watched our latest Tips of the Week, we have much more for you to learn about. Make use of these great animation resources to become the very best.
Visit our Toon Boom Tips Channel on YouTube and watch all of the Tips of the Week.
Become a better animator by visiting our Toon Boom Professional Animating Resources:
- Producing a 3DStereoscopic Project – Turn your project into a 3D Stereoscopic animation. Instructions and material.
- Templates – Professional-quality templates for Animate, Animate Pro and Harmony, everything from Sunrises to Particle Effects.
- Video Tutorials – Expert animation tutorials to help you begin and then progress to the highest level of animation expertise.
- Community Video Tutorials - These in-depth animation tutorials are created by some of Toon Boom’s industry power users.
- Visit our User Forums - We answer your questions. Work with other users and our experts to get answers to your animation and storyboarding questions.